Qualitative Data (Mathematics Glossary)
What Is Qualitative Data?Qualitative data is data that is described in words.
Qualitative data does not use numbers.
Real Examples of Qualitative Data
- A teacher collects the names of their pupils in a register.
The names of the pupils are qualitative data. They describe the pupils in words, not in numbers.
- A man records the vehicles passing by on the road.
The type of vehicles are qualitative data. They describe the vehicles in words, not in numbers.
Types of Qualitative DataWe can be more specific about types of qualitative data.
- Attribute (or dichotomous) data has only two categories: yes/no, male/female.
- Nominal data is unordered qualitative data: color, shape, name.
- Ordinal data is ordered qualitative: very small, small, large, very large.
Here's a second test on qualitative data.
Here's a third test on qualitative data.